Section menu

Entry requirements

General entry requirements

To apply for the programme you must have a 1st or 2.1 either in an undergraduate honours degree, or an integrated masters degree in a pure or applied science subject relevant to the specialism for which you are applying. Applicants with a relevant 2.2 honours degree will also be considered if they have a higher degree in a subject relevant to the specialism for which they are applying. Evidence of research experience in the form of a higher degree or equivalent evidence of a scientific/academic basis is also desirable. Please note that a higher degree is as defined by the Frameworks for Higher Education Qualifications of UK Degree-Awarding Bodies. This does not include Postgraduate diplomas or Postgraduate Certificates.

If you are an applicant for STP places in reconstructive sciences (maxillofacial prosthetics), you must hold current registration as a dental technician with the General Dental Council.

Science degrees related to medicine may also be considered suitable for some specialisms, if they are relevant to the specialism or theme for which you are applying.

Make sure that you review the job description and person specification to ensure that you match the skills and knowledge required for the specialism you wish to apply for. Entry to the STP is highly competitive and you are more likely to succeed if you apply for a specialism that is relevant to your degree.

If you are currently studying and your predicted grades indicate you will achieve a 2:1 or higher you may still apply to the programme.  You will need to provide us with your predicted degree grade in your application; please note that your application will only be considered if you go on to achieve a 1st or 2.1. If you do not achieve your predicted results you will no longer meet the entry requirements and any offers that have been made will be withdrawn. Once you have received your degree result please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to confirm your grade, within 5 days of being notified by your university.

Any academic qualifications that you have included in your application must be successfully completed by the start of the programme. You cannot be enrolled on two academic programmes whilst on the STP 

What is classed as a relevant degree?

Due to the extensive variation in degrees it is not possible for us to provide a definitive list of relevant degrees but the most commonly accepted degrees are:

  • Life Sciences: biomedical sciences, biology, microbiology, genetics or biochemistry.
  • Genomic Counsellingformerly Genetic Counselling: one of the biological or equivalent sciences, nursing or psychology. If your degree did not include a genetics module, we would advise you to have completed a short course in genetics. Experience working in a caring role is highly desirable and candidates are unlikely to be shortlisted without this. This may be through previous professional work (e.g. nursing/social work) or in a voluntary capacity and should be equivalent to 6-months full-time work. Awareness of, or basic training in, counselling may also be advantageous. We would suggest that applicants highlight this information if applicable, in the supporting section of their application form. 
  • Clinical Bioinformatics - maths (at least A level standard)
    • Clinical Bioinformatics (Genomics) - genetics, biology, computer science, health informatics (degree courses with significant IT content or equivalent).
    • Clinical Bioinformatics (Health Informatics) - genetics, biology, computer science, health informatics (degree courses with significant IT content or equivalent).
    • Clinical Bioinformatics (Physical Sciences) - computer science, scientific, engineering or maths (that contains a significant level of mathematical and computer programming knowledge and skills).
  • Clinical Pharmaceutical Science - chemistry, life/biological sciences which are chemistry related (e.g. biochemistry or pharmacology), pharmaceutical sciences or pharmcy. Applicants do not require a pharmacy degree but this specialism is open to those with a pharmacy qualification. 
  • Physiological Sciences - physiology, pure or applied physics, engineering, biology or human biology, sports science (if significant scientific content).
  • Physical Sciences and Biomedical Engineering - if you are applying for either the medical physics or clinical engineering specialisms and are a successful applicant, you may be allocated to a post which may have a predetermined relevant specialism or one in which the specialism will be decided after the first year of training.

Please note that the School is unable to advise further on degree relevance. Should you get through to this stage of the process, the national shortlisting panels will judge which applicants closely match the person specification.

UK NARIC equivalence will need to be provided at the interview stage (if invited for interview) if you hold an international qualification. You can get further information on degree equivalence from NARIC and the Overseas Degree Equivalency section on the website.

You can find further information about eligibility and accepted qualifications on the Health Careers website. 

Can I apply to the STP if I am from outside of the UK?

Before you apply to the STP refer to the national guidance from Health Education England and the UK Visas and Immigration Service to check whether or not you are eligible to apply. You must also make sure that you have established your right to work in the UK for the full duration of the programme. 

If you require a Tier 2 visa to work and train in the UK as a healthcare scientist visit the Home Office website for the latest guidance. Should you be successful at the interview stage for the STP any offer made to you will be based on meeting the requirements of the Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT).

What level of English competency is required?

All applicants must have a high enough level of communication skills to enable them to undertake the role effectively and to assure the safe delivery of service to patients. You must also be able to demonstrate that you can achieve the standards set for clinical scientists by the Health and Care Professions Council

Ways to demonstrate you meet these standards include:

  • Be a national of a majority English speaking country or have worked in an organisation/institution where English was the primary language.
  • Pursued as part of your education in the UK.
  • Hold a degree or relevant educational qualification that was taught in English by a recognised institution abroad.
  • Pass an English language competency test.

If your first language is not English, you will also have to demonstrate to the Higher Education Institution (HEI) that you have the necessary knowledge of English to meet the entry requirements to enroll on the MSc course, which is the academic component of the programme.

If you require a Tier 2 visa to apply, you will have already needed to demonstrate your English language skills as part of the visa application process. Therefore all you need to do is provide evidence that you passed this test set by the Home Office.